We've Moved!!

please visit us at www.multifaithworld.org
we look forward to hearing from you there.
Rabbi Nancy Fuchs-Kreimer
Rabbi Melissa Heller

Monday, July 16, 2007

Explaining Jewish Spirituality to Christians


A former student came to me with the following issue. She is involved in planning an interfaith event on the topic of "Spirituality and Disabilities." As a rabbi and a parent of a disabled adult, she has shared her spirituality with her Christian co- planners. With all due respect, the Christians in the group are asking her to explain why she calls what she believes and does "spiritual." Since there is no mention of a personal God, they hear what she is sharing as psychological but not spiritual.

Does anyone have some suggestions for this rabbi?

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I don't have suggestions, but I am interested in learning more about the details of her perspective that are being denied as "spiritual," and to learn how the event turns out and how Jewish spirituality ends up being represented at the event.

I am very glad to have just found your blog through the RRC website!

Go, Spartans! said...

Dear Rabbi Nancy,

My name is Doug Lynott, and I am the Christian half of an interfaith (or multifaith) household. My wife is Jewish. I blog about my thoughts and reflections on interfaith and multifaith topics and issues. The name of my blog is OneBlog. I invite you to read more about it at http://unifaith.blogspot.com/2007/04/welcome-to-oneblog_22.html.

I am intrigued by your blog and your interest in the increasing rate at which our world is becoming multifaith. My blog is designed to explore what that means, as I see this as an era where the traditional meaning of "religion" is transformed. I think that interfaith relationships like the one my wife and I share are leading the way to this transformation.

I hope that you will take some time to explore OneBlog, and even post comments if the urge strikes you. I have provided my readers with a link to your Multifaith blog. If you enjoy OneBlog, I ask that you consider linking to it from your site as well.

Thank you, Rabbi.

Shalom,

Doug
oneblogspot@yahoo.com